Monday, November 21, 2016

#whyiwrite concept + memo

For my #whyIwrite project, I'm exploring my own poetics and the reasoning behind why I personally write poetry. Ultimately, the main reasoning of why I enjoy writing is this idea of voice and its personal connection with the audience. Allen Ginsberg talks about it at length in a 1966 interview with The Paris Review, where he says we draw distinctions for ourselves between we tell our audience, what we tell our friends, and what we tell our Muse: but why do we confine our literary selves like that? I think that's definitely an important part of my poetics- the lines that we make for ourselves should be blurred and be allowed to be crossed and invaded in order to conceive what I personally believe is "better" literature. If I am not honest with my Muse about my true feelings, or if I am not sharing that one drunk narrative from two months ago I told my friend Emily, I feel like something can be lost in my poetry. After all, I think those candid and unfiltered moments are what truly make poetry interesting, personal, and authentic: thus, I write to share the poetic moments in the narrative of my life as a means to connect with others in a way that becomes a raw and truly human experience.

In terms of concerns I have with my project, I'm worried about a few things:

1) In the big scheme of things, is this saying anything important? I want to add to a conversation, and not regurgitate a common idea or something that no one cares about.
2) In terms of technicality, is my draft focused? What can I do in terms of bettering transitions or connections in thought?
3) Does any of this stick with you? I tried to make my draft both amusing yet literary: I tried my hand with some humorous lines and with some poetic lines, in hopes that certain images and things that I am saying will leave something of an imprint in the mind of my reader.
4) What else can I include to elaborate / solidify my argument that would be helpful?

No comments:

Post a Comment